Feeling a bit on edge? Bitters can help with that.
- Lavender has been shown as beneficial to the overall mood, anxiety, and sleep.
- Passionflower boosts GABA levels in the brain, which promotes relaxation. Passionflower has been shown to ease generalized anxiety with fewer side effects than prescribed sedatives.
- Valerian root is often paired with passionflower as it promotes similar calming effects. This herb is commonly used as a sleep aid and, like passionflower, increases the amount of GABA in the brain.
While these herbs are generally safe and well-tolerated, it’s important to do your research and to never combine them with other GABA-promoting drugs such as antidepressants and benzodiazepines.
- 1 ounce dried lavender/herb
- 1 tsp. dried valerian root/herb
- 2 tsp. dried passionflower/herb
- 1 tsp. dried orange peel
- 1/2 tsp. dried ginger
- 6 ounces of alcohol
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar and pour alcohol on top.
- Seal tightly and store the bitters in a cool, dark place.
- Let the bitters infuse until the desired strength is reached, about 2 to 4 weeks. Shake the jars regularly (about once per day).
- When ready, strain the bitters through a muslin cheesecloth or coffee filter. Store the strained bitters in an airtight container at room temperature.