Meet our Glamstar of the week Seyitan Atigarin.
Award winning TV presenter and host AND creative director for ABÈBÍBYTAN fashion kimono line! Here she is..
Tell us about Seyitan
- Wow! This is such an open ended question but I’ll do my best. Seyitan is an award winning TV Presenter, content producer and the Creative Director at ABÈBÍBYTAN. A Christian, a huge foodie and big sister to two wonderful boys.
How long have you been in the media world?
- You know, this question made me actually calculate it. My first job ever was at Inspiration FM, I was 17. I’m 28 now, so about 11 years (Yep! I’ve been at it a while.)
What inspired you to pursue this?
- The idea of entertaining and communicating with people en masse has always excited me. As a child, I enjoyed making people laugh, putting together my own mini presentations for family and friends, and as I grew older I eventually realized that media industry was always where I was meant to be.
You recently launched a kimono line; tell us about that
- Yes! So, kimonos. I love them, slightly obsessed if I might add. I had quite the collection even before I started the business (they are absolutely the easiest thing to wear and can switch up your outfit.) I got the inspiration to create my own kimono line while recording the second season of our travel show, Here & Now: The adventures of TASA in Senegal. Something happened on that trip that was the final push to design a line of Indigenous African Kimonos, ABÈBÍBYTAN. The debut collection was created to the perfect wardrobe staple for every woman seeking comfort and style, it comes in different colors, prints, lengths and variations which instantly dresses up your look. Point is, there is something for everyone and for me that’s what makes it perfect!!!
What inspired the name Abèbíbytan
- ABÈBÍ is my oriki (i.e a kind of Yoruba literary genre used to inspire people. It is usually in the form of poetry, consisting of songs of praise). The by tan part is literally just that, “by Tan” – By Seyitan. Hence, ABÈBÍBYTAN. -It’s pronounced as is-
Food or travel ?
- You have no idea how difficult this question is. I would say food, but I have to travel to eat all that food no? Not every time Rice and stew.
Unlimited supply of one thing, and what would it be?
- MONEYYYYYYYY!!!! I need a lot of it please.
What’s your skin routine (you have aaammmmazing skin!!)
- Thank youuuuuu!! Thing is I actually don’t have one. I can attribute the good skin to what I eat. I try to eat fruits any chance I get and am very intentional with using a facial scrub after taking off make up.
What makeup products would we always find in your purse
- LIP GLOSS!! You can also apply over eyelids or cheekbones for an extra pop when you need one.
First thing you do in the morning
- I pee, lol..Very recently though I start my day with self-affirmations & my quiet time.
Favorite city you’ve been to
- Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. It’s an archipelago of 40 low-lying coral islands in the Atlantic Ocean located just southeast of the Bahamas.
What’s your best travel experience
- The first season of TASA. We started in Cameroon then Kenya and ended in Tanzania. We had a chance to explore so much culture in their Art, Fashion, Music and Food (see why I can’t pick between Food & travel?). I was with my best friends and we had a chance to create all these amazing memories together. I can never forget it!
Any pet peeves
- Untidy spaces and slow customer service at restaurants.
Do you have a creative process
Yes I do, it differs depending on what I’m working on at the moment. It comes easily when I’m in a stress free (outside Lagos) environment too
What mantra do you live by..
- Philippians 4:13
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Any words for those aspiring to be like you
- This might sound like a cliché but you need to have the passion for it. The media industry seems very “glamorous” from the outside and sometimes it is a A LOT OF HARD WORK. It comes with its own share of low moments, disappointments and setbacks. So if you don’t love the craft those moments hit you really hard and you will find it very hard to get back up.